Saturday, January 31, 2015

Blazer Ammo Is The Best Bang For The Buck

Blazer Brass is now officially my favorite range ammo. It is not exceptionally dirty like Tula (Actually fairly clean), you can capture the brass for reloading later, you can pick it up at Academy Sports and Outdoors for $12.99 a box ($0.259 per round) or Luckyguner.com for $254.75 for a 1050 bulk bundle with shipping included ($0.242 per round). PLUS - It shoots pretty dang well, as proven with the images below.



What you are looking at there is my best group of the day. That is 17 rounds fired from a Glock G17 at 21 feet, for a little over a 1 inch shot group. Hand held, of course, and with factory sights. Now I am certainly no competition speed shooter like my hero, Jerry Miculek, but I am pretty proud of that.

To show you how fast I did shoot, I used my free shot timer app and saved the information. Going from a low ready, it took 2.34 seconds to acquire my aiming point and squeeze off my first shot. My average split time between shots was less than a second, and my total elapsed time was just over 14 seconds for all 17 rounds.
As stated, that was indeed my best group of the day. For comparison, here is a snap shot of the whole target. I used aiming dots to maximize how many times I can reuse the target. They are just round stickers picked up at The Dollar Tree. Some groups were 5 rounds. Some were 10. The most was 17 round fully loaded clips like depicted above. The pattern you see in the head was two 10 round clips. Any errant fliers that you see were from me anticipating the shot. Something I will work on. 

And remember, I just started shooting a pistol a few weeks back specifically for concealed carry. Prior to that, I can count 3 trips to the range to shoot a pistol in the last 30 years. While I know I still want to up my game in my proficiency, I am pretty pleased with my progress. I also know exactly where my shortcomings are to be worked on. So that is a plus as well.

Over all, I would say that for range ammo, you cannot beat Blazer Brass. If you have no desire to reload ever, then you can save about a dollar per box and get aluminum cased ammo. Just as reliable, but you cannot reload the spent casings later. The aluminum is available from Lucky Gunner but not Academy.

Oh and by the way, there were a handful of off duty police officers at the range with me. I outshot them by a mile. One of them actually came over and asked what I was shooting. He was surprised to find that I was shooting range ammo in an unmodified Glock. I did not have the heart to tell him that I was outshooting him not because of the ammo or the gun, but because of... Well.... Other factors.

No comments:

Post a Comment