Thursday, January 22, 2015

Better Hide Your Gun!

Yesterday, some real poop for brains got himself arrested. Deservedly so. And his story is a great example of why all of us concealed carry practitioners need to make doubly sure that we conceal and hide our weapons well. Be it clothing choices, inside the waistband, outside the waistband, appendix carry, special clothing designed specifically for hiding guns, or habits designed to camouflage the fact that we are packing. We need to make sure the general public is completely clueless. 

Because this could have went far worse...


Yesterday, in Brandon, Florida, Mr. Michael Foster pulls up into a Walmart parking lot. He notices another man getting out of his car. In the act of going from sitting in a car, to standing up next to his car, Mr. Foster sees a handgun in a holster briefly revealed underneath the stranger's clothing.

Now even though this is Florida with some of the most relaxed gun laws in the country, and having more concealed carry permit holders than any other state in the union, Mr. Foster assumes the worst.

In assuming the worst, he did not just call 911. No, he makes a completely different decision. I can only assume he fancied himself as a wannabe hero. Because even though this stranger has made no threatening moves that demanded immediate action, instead of making a concerned phone cal to the authorities, he follows him through the parking lot. Once this stranger - who shall now be identified as concealed carry holder Mr. Clarence Daniels - crosses the threshold of the building, he jumps him from behind. He grabbed him in a chokehold and takes him to the ground.

He yells out that Daniels has a gun. A passerby quickly jumps in to help in the takedown, and manages to pull the weapon free. A third concerned citizen steps up, and takes possession of the weapon.

Now I give these other two a complete pass. They know nothing about what is going on. They just hear someone yelling, “He’s got a gun.” They just jump in to help. They did not actually take Daniels down. They just helped to hold him in place and secured the weapon.

I don’t have an issue with that at all.

I have a serious issue with the really retarded move (Yeah I know that ain’t politically correct, but get over it.) That Foster pulled.

Now it should be noted that Mr. Daniels, as soon as he get’s his breath back, starts repeatedly saying to any that can hear, “I have a permit for the weapon.” But Mr. Foster continues to restrain him in a choke hold.

Eventually the boys in blue show up. They take a look at the permit, hand over the weapon to Mr. Daniels, and then arrest Foster for battery.

Good job Mr. Policeman!



But here is what all of us gun toters need to take away from all of this. We need to be more observant and make careful choice when it come to our concealed weapon. I know that if I am in a parking lot, I am going to scan the area to see who is around, if they notice me, and asking myself will my weapon be hidden when I exit the vehicle. Maybe I park farther out in order to make sure I don’t accidentally flash someone. 

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! Glad to see you doing this Jimmy. I have "recently" become a shooter myself - within the last 3 years or so. My husband has always been an avid shooter but I shied away - not sure why now. My first gun was a Taurus PT809 - not a very concealable weapon, but it helped me to get my feet wet and learn an appreciation for shooting. I also joined a local women's gun club and gathered invaluable information and LOTS of range time. I was able to shoot other's guns and see what worked for me and what didn't. I finally made my educated decision and got a Ruger LC9S for Christmas. Love it! I got my CCL in the mail a couple of weeks ago, so I'm legal, but not ready yet. I will carry in my car, but I think I need some more training and experience before holster/concealed carrying.

    BTW - did you see this?? Lot's of idiots out there!!
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/01/robert-farago/worst-anti-gun-editorial-ever-written/

    ReplyDelete